Apple Crumble Pie - YUM!!

Part One of Alayna's Adventures in Baking...

So I think I have definitely been nesting lately, that strange part of pregnancy where you are beyond exhausted, but for some strange, unknown reason you want to clean, bake, dust, scrub the floor, wash dishes, sweep, vacuum, and wash and fold laundry. Not that you can accomplish all of it, but darn it, you will try!

Many of my escapades lately have involved baking and cooking.  I have made chunky cinnamon applesauce, crumble apple pie, chicken enchiladas, baked BBQ ribs, and pumpkin banana bread.  And that's all in about a weeks time!  Whew, I'm exhausted just thinking about it!  

Now on to some recipes, specifically the apple crumble pie one.  In honor of fall, I have been craving all things apple and pumpkin.  If you know me, I'm a nut for anything pumpkin - pumpkin spice coffee, pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin straight from the can.  And apples, Gala, Mutsu, and apple cider, I'm in heaven!  Oh fall, I love you!

A picture of the beautiful and tasty apple crumble pie I made...


---------
Apple Crumble Pie: 

Cook Time: 50 minutes

Filling:

  • 1 unbaked pie shell (see recipe below)
  • 6 cups peeled apple slices (or fill to overflowing!)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg OR 3/4 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
Topping:
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 tablespoons butter

Preparation:

Fill pie shell with apple slices. Combine granulated sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg OR pumpkin pie spice, and salt; sprinkle over the apples. Combine topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over top of pie. Bake at 400° for 45 to 50 minutes, until apples are tender and topping is browned.
---------

The original pie recipe comes from this website, but I made several changes, reflected in the above recipe.  I don't enjoy nuts in my apple pie or in the topping, so I excluded them.  I also doubled the crumb topping, because it's most delicious.  I happened to be out of cinnamon, so I used pumpkin pie spice, which was awesome!  I also made homemade pie crust, which my mom always used to make, rather than using a store bought frozen or fresh pie crust.  

Now on to the pie crust!!

---------
Easy to Remember Pie Crust: 

Ingredients: 
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup cold water
Place flour in a medium bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water and mix just until dough comes together. Allow to rest in refrigerator before rolling out. 
---------

This is a super amazing pie crust and I like to use it for all fruit or custard pies.  The recipe can be found at this website.  It's a crumbly and superb crust!  Note that it makes only one 9 inch pie crust, so double it if you want a top crust for your pie or if you are making two pies.  It's important to use cold water or even ice water when mixing the crust.  My mom taught me how to make this pie crust, and it's been one of the best I have ever had!

Now, just writing this blog makes me want to make another apple pie, and I have some beautiful Mutsu apples from Simmons Farm to use up!!  The only trouble with apple pie at my house is that John isn't a huge fan of fruit, even in pie form, so I am the only one who eats it!  So if anyone wants to come over for some apple pie, I'm up for company!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Foray into *Somewhat* Extreme Couponing…

Sex, the Church, and Erotica or a Peek into Pulling Back the Shades

So... It's been a while!